Student WEB CORPS is a “summer work experience” for in-school students, ages 14-17 years old. This program is designed to strengthen students’ web development, project management and professionalism skills and to apply those skills in the authentic task of building a website for a small business, organization or cause. Students work 25/hours each week and earn an hourly salary. Eligible students apply to participate in the program and are assigned to one of the Student WEB CORPS worksites. Each cohort (up to 25 student-employees) is supported by two Worksite Supervisors/Instructors and a Site Coordinator.
High School, 9th – 12th
100+ hours of programming
In-class or out of school time program
Content delivered by Technology/Web Development Teacher
The program shares the traditional TECH CORPS values of mentoring and tech skill development and is comprised of the following components:
- Web Development Training: Fundamentals of web development using HTML, XHTML, and CSS
- Testing and Certification: Online and performance-based testing of each student’s knowledge, requiring 80% mastery to achieve basic-level certification.
- Web Development Team: All procedures, training, and tools required to successfully implement a web design team project.
- Student Social Network (digital citizenship), Blogs (reflective writing), Site Presentations
- Student WEB CORPS Kit with student supplies
- Evaluations and Assessments
- Training and ongoing support